Many organisations offer support, help and advice about caring for a person with a learning disability. They can also support you to deal with the death of a loved one.
LeDeR is not responsible for the content on any of the below websites.
- Bereavement Advice Centre
- Books Beyond Words: When somebody dies
- Child Bereavement UK
- Child Death Helpline
- Cruse bereavement care
- Dying Matters Support service
- Dying to Matter - a guide for bereaved families (PDF, 1,097kB)
- Respond for people with a learning disability, autism or both who have experienced trauma
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide
- SUDEP Action for support around sudden death from Epilepsy
- Sue Ryder support for people who have a neurological condition or who have lost someone
- The Compassionate Friends (TCF) – supporting bereaved parents and their families
- Advocate 4 Health - a group of people with a learning disability. This site is about how to be healthy.
- A Picture of Health - helps clinicians provide ‘Easy Read’ information to people with learning disabilities
- Disability Unit – of HM Government
- Easy Health - accessible to anyone with low literacy levels, including people with learning disabilities.
- Royal College of General Practitioners Resources
- Understanding intellectual disability and health – University of Hertfordshire resources
Policies and reports
- CIPOLD report
- Building the right support for people with a learning disability and/ or autism (PDF, 1,485kB)
- CQC (2016) Learning, Candour and Accountability
- Mazars (2015) Independent review of deaths of people with a Learning Disability or Mental Health problem in contact with Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust - April 2011 to March 2015
- Transforming Care for People with Learning Disabilities – Next Steps January 2015
- Winterbourne view– time for change 2014
- Care Act 2014
- Review into the quality of care and treatment provided by 14 hospital trusts in England: overview report - Professor Sir Bruce Keogh KBE July 2013
- Mencap (2012) - 74 deaths and counting
- Equality Act 2010
- Healthcare for all - Sir Jonathan Michael (2008)
- Death by Indifference - Mencap (2007)
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Mortality in people with intellectual disabilities in England - Glover et al. 2017
- Mortality Among Adults With Intellectual Disability in England: Comparisons With the General Population - Hosking et al. 2016
- The Confidential Inquiry into premature deaths of people with intellectual disabilities in the UK: a population-based study - Heslop et al. 2014.